By Aaron Wilson
From theology to accountability, church small groups can cover some heavy topics—causing some members to be slow to open up.
But sometimes all it takes is a little nudge to get a group talking. Here are 75 fun icebreaker questions along with multiple choice answers to warm up the room and get your people chatting.
You might want to bookmark this site on your device for whenever your group needs a jumpstart. Or, if your church has a social media presence, these questions make for great online polls to generate engagement.
1. Which would be more difficult for you to go a week without?
- A cell phone
- A personal vehicle
2. How do you feel about the first name you were given at birth?
- I like the name I was given and have used it all my life.
- I’m not a huge fan of my first name but have stuck with it.
- I go by a nickname/middle name.
- I/someone else legally changed my first name.
3. Do you wish people happy birthday on social media?
- I do for most people when I get a notification.
- I do, but only for family and/or close friends.
- No, that’s so last decade.
- I’m rarely or never on social media.
4. Do you write/type up a daily checklist for yourself?
- Yes, almost every day
- Yes, but only on workdays
- Yes, but only when tasks start to mount up
- No, I use my email inbox as a type of checklist.
- No, I keep track of to-do items in my head.
5. On a scale where one is a minimalist and five is a hoarder, where would you rank yourself?
- One (minimalist)
- Five (hoarder)
6. What kind of Bible do you most often use at home for everyday reading?
- A text Bible with minimal notes and additional features
- A study Bible
- A devotional/daily-reading/chronological Bible
- A Bible app/online Bible
7. If you could visit only one of Disney World’s four parks, which would you choose?
- Animal Kingdom
- Hollywood Studios
- The Magic Kingdom
8. If the apostle Paul were alive today, do you think he’d be active on social media?
- Likely yes. He’d see it as a way to “be all things to all people.”
- Likely no. He’d see it as a distraction to ministry.
9. How many different organizations have you worked for in your lifetime? Follow-up question: Which one was the most unique?
- 8 or more
10. What incorrect tech prediction from “Back to the Future II” do you most wish readily existed today?
- Biometric door locks
- Flying cars
- Food hydrators (instantly cook frozen food)
- Hoverboards (floating skateboards)
- Fusion (converts household trash into car fuel)
- Robots to pump gas, walk dogs, help cook, etc.
- Smart clothing (automatic resizing, self-drying, shoes that tie themselves)
- A time machine
11. Would you rather have a fast forward, pause, or rewind button on your life?
- Fast forward
12. Poll: Which of these “cheap treats” is your least favorite to find in a candy bowl?
- Candy Corn
- Double Bubble Gum
- Dum Dums
- Pixy Stix
- Tootsie Rolls
13. Who serves the best pancakes?
- Cracker Barrel
- Huddle House
- Waffle House
14. What creative gifts would you most like to have that you don’t already possess? The ability to:
- Author a book
- Choreograph/perform dance
- Create graphic design
- Design/create clothing
- Write songs/create music
- Write/direct/act in a screenplay
15. What was your favorite elective in school?
- Foreign language
- Home economics
16. What time do you most often turn in for the night?
- 8 p.m. or earlier
- 9 p.m.
- 10 p.m.
- 11 p.m.
- 1 a.m. or later
17. What’s your favorite kid’s cereal?
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- Corn Pops
- Fruit Loops
- Frosted Flakes
- Lucky Charms
- Rice Krispies
18. Which modern actor plays the best Sherlock Holmes?
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Jonny Lee Miller (Elementary)
- Robert Downey Jr.
19. At what time of day or night are you most productive?
- After Midnight
20. Do you use a smart speaker device (i.e. Google Home, Amazon Echo, etc.) in your home?
- Yes, I love it!
- No, but I’m interested in getting one.
- No, I’m leery of devices that “listen” to people in their homes.
- No, I’m just not interested or don’t think they’re worth the money.
21. What age range represents your best understanding of when you became a Christian?
- 5 or younger
- 40 or older
22. Adjusted for inflation, the following films have the best time all-time domestic earnings at the box office. Which do you consider to be the best movie achievement?
- Gone with the Wind
- Star Wars: A New Hope
- The Sound of Music
- ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
23. Given the choice when traveling overnight, would you rather stay at a traditional hotel or an Airbnb?
- What’s an Airbnb?
24. When a store has both types of checkout lanes available, which one do you prefer to use?
- Self checkout
- Lane with a human cashier
25. As a child, what was your go-to treat from the ice cream truck?
- Push-up Pop
- Ice cream sandwich
- Choco Taco
- Mickey Bar
26. Which soft drink company is better?
27. When it comes to getting spoilers for a movie, TV show, or novel you’re excited about, which way do you lean?
- I avoid spoilers; I don’t want to ruin the story.
- I seek out spoilers; I want to know what will happen ASAP.
28. In today’s digital age, how important is it for kids to learn how to write in cursive?
- 5 – Very important
- 1 – Not at all important
29. What’s your go-to choice in a box of Russell Stover assorted chocolates?
- Chocolate Truffle
- Coconut Cluster
- Peanut Butter Crunch
- Roman Nougat
- Strawberry Cream
30. Do you think social media apps eavesdrop on private conversations through your phone’s microphone in order to market to you?
- Yes, absolutely
- Probably so
- No, it’s not likely
- Definitely not
31. Have you ever binge-watched an entire season of a show over the course of a few days?
- Yes, several times
- Yes, once or twice
- No, but I’d consider it if a show is good enough
- No, I prefer to take my time watching shows
32. Through which of these formats have you owned the most songs throughout your lifetime?
- Digital downloads
33. What’s your opinion of ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft?
- I use such services whenever I can.
- I use them occasionally.
- I’ve never used them but would consider it.
- I’m wary of ride-hailing and won’t use it.
- I am/have been a driver for such services.
34. Which live-action Disney remake has been the best so far?
- Beauty and the Beast
- The Jungle Book
- Lady and the Tramp
- The Lion King
35. What’s your attitude toward honking a horn in a vehicle?
- I’m quick to honk at poor driving behavior.
- I’ll honk, but only to get someone’s attention.
- I almost never honk.
- I don’t drive, so it’s not an issue for me.
36. When was the last time you visited what you consider to be your hometown?
- Within 6 months
- Within a year
- 1 to 5 years
- Over 5 years
- I never left my hometown.
37. Who played the best Batman?
- Adam West
- Michael Keaton
- Val Kilmer
- George Clooney
- Christian Bale
- Ben Affleck
38. Which of these common bad dreams have you experienced?
- Being chased
- Driving an out-of-control vehicle
- Realizing you forgot to attend a class
- Showing up for work/school naked
- Showing up late for something
- Taking a test
- Teeth falling out
39. What is your favorite parable of Jesus?
- The Good Samaritan
- The Hidden Treasure
- The Prodigal Son
- The Sower
- The Talents
- The Unforgiving Servant
40. When you need to buy or sell a used item, where do you turn?
- Facebook Marketplace
- Flea market
- Garage sale
- Newspaper classified (print or digital)
41. If you lost your cell phone, how many of your contacts’ numbers could you recall by memory?
- 11 or more
42. What is your preferred way to read a book?
- Audio book
- E-readers (Kindle, Nook, tablet)
- I don’t read books.
43. Do you know your neighbors?
- No, I’ve never met them.
- Yes, but not very well.
- Yes, we’re good friends.
- I don’t have neighbors.
44. If you could time travel, would you rather:
- Visit the past
- Visit the future
45. If you could permanently eliminate one chore from your to-do list, which would it be?
- Cleaning dishes
- Cooking/making meals
- Lawn work
- Washing clothes
46. What video-streaming service do you think provides the best value?
- Amazon Prime Video
- DirecTV Now
- Sling Television
- YouTube TV
47. What’s your favorite medium for keeping up with the news?
- Internet (websites/social media/apps)
- Print newspapers
48. Which game show would you most want to be a contestant on?
- Family Feud
- The Price is Right
- Wheel of Fortune
- Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
49. What do you listen to in the car?
- AM/FM radio
- Audio books
- Podcasts/streaming music/sermons
- Satellite radio
- I don’t listen to anything in the car.
50. Which chain makes the best donuts?
- Dunkin Donuts
- Krispy Kreme
51. What’s your go-to morning beverage?
52. Which of these is the best toy brand?
- Hello Kitty
- Hot Wheels
53. How many hours of sleep you do get on a typical night?
- 5 or less
- 9 or more
54. Which personality type do you lean more towards?
55. What’s your favorite sport to watch on TV?
- Olympic Sports
56. Which social media platform is your favorite?
57. What was your favorite back-to-school item to shop for as a kid?
- New clothes
- Trapper Keeper/notebooks
58. Who’s your favorite superhero?
- Captain America
- Wonder woman
59. Other than God, which character in the Bible would you most like to have a conversation with?
60. What genre does your favorite book of the Bible come from?
- The Law
- The Prophets
- Poetry and Wisdom
- The Gospels
- The Epistles
61. Where would you most like to go on vacation?
- Theme park
Seasonal and special events
62. Which of these goals will you intentionally focus on in the New Year?
- Get in better shape
- Spend less/save more
- Read the Bible more consistently
- Quit a bad habit
- Learn a new skill
Super Bowl (February)
63. What are you most looking forward to watching during the Super Bowl?
- The game
- The commercials
- The halftime show
- I don’t plan to watch the Super Bowl.
64. What’s your favorite thing about spring?
- Celebrating Easter
- Flowers/trees in bloom
- Flu/cold season is over
- Longer days/more sunshine
- Warmer temperatures
65. During the summer, what temperature (Fahrenheit) do you keep your home when it’s occupied?
- 65 or lower
- 81 or higher
66. What do you like most about fall?
- Leaves changing color
- Cooler temperatures
- Watching football games
- Pumpkin spice flavoring
- New seasons of TV shows
67. What’s the best Thanksgiving-meal side?
- Cranberry sauce
- Mac & cheese
- Mashed potatoes and gravy
- Pumpkin pie
- Sweet potato/green bean casserole
68. What’s your preference for eating turkey?
- White meat
- Dark meat
69. Which of these bests describes your attitude toward Black Friday shopping?
- I enjoy the great deals and the energy surrounding Black Friday!
- I check the ads, but only venture out if something really catches my eye.
- I wouldn’t be caught dead shopping on Black Friday.
- I work on Black Friday.
70. What’s your attitude toward snow?
- I love snow. Bring it on!
- I like one or two good snowfalls a year—that’s all.
- I’d be happy if it never snowed again.
71. What’s your favorite sport in the Winter Olympics?
- Figure skating
72. When do you start listening to Christmas music at home?
- At the start of November
- After Thanksgiving
- Two weeks before Christmas
- I listen to Christmas music year-round.
73. What do you call the Christmas game where people open and steal each other’s presents?
- Dirty Santa
- White Elephant Gift Exchange
- Yankee Swap
74. What’s the most annoying Christmas song?
- Christmas Shoes
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
- Happy Holidays
- Here Comes Santa Claus
- I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
- Little Drummer Boy
- Santa Baby
- The 12 Days of Christmas
75. What’s the best children’s Christmas special?
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Frosty the Snowman
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)
- The Polar Express
- Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer
AARON WILSON (@AaronBWilson26) is associate editor for Facts & Trends.