By Joy Allmond
It’s the time of year when bibliophiles wait with baited breath to line up their reading lists to conquer once the calendar flips.
It’s not only Christmastime; it’s book-of-the-year season.
“He explains persuasively how the church is our first family while giving practical, realistic direction in how to nurture and maintain a healthy, biblical family life, one that reflects the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord,” wrote Mark Galli, Christianity Today editor-n-chief.
“In other words, he tells the truth about what it means to be a biblical family (orthodoxy) and does so in a way that makes the family good news (beautiful).”
In Gay Girl, Good God Perry shares her journey past same-sex attractions to the Savior who never stopped loving her.
“My story is certainly not the standard,” she recently told Facts & Trends. “It’s just the one God chose to give me, and I’m so grateful for it.”
Other releases honored within Christianity Today‘s and TGC’s lists include:
- The Forgotten Church: Why Rural Ministry Matters for Every Church in America, by Glenn Daman / Christianity Today; award of merit, church/pastoral leadership (Read more on the rural church in our recent issue: “Hidden Mission Field: Why We Need Rural Churches.”)
- Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions About Life and Sexuality, by Nancy Pearcey / The Gospel Coalition; winner, public theology and current events
- The Gospel Comes with a House Key: Practicing Radically Ordinary Hospitality in Our Post-Christian World, by Rosaria Butterfield / Christianity Today; winner, Christian living/discipleship
- Faith Among the Faithless: Learning from Esther How to Live in a World Gone Mad, by Mike Cosper / The Gospel Coalition; winner, popular theology
- Lexham Geographic Commentary on the Gospels, edited by Barry Beitzel / Christianity Today; winner, biblical studies
- All That’s Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment, by Hannah Anderson / The Gospel Coalition; winner, Christian living
- Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship, by John Piper / The Gospel Coalition; runner up, ministry
JOY ALLMOND (@joyallmond) is managing editor for Facts & Trends.